Wednesday, 15 January 2014

First whitebox

This is my first whitebox level. I had a go at putting it into UDK to see how it played, and it needs a lot of work still.  

I like the starting area, but I think there should be a simple obstacle the player will have to jump to ease the player into understanding what sort of game they are playing.  


The rest of my issues I have annotated. The red line is the path the player ought to follow, the blue numbers I will explain now:

1. This area is far too spacious and needs narrowing down to be more claustrophobic.

2. These platforms will be too tall once the player jump strength is adjusted.

3. With the current jump length of the player character, it is possible to jump this chasm. It should not be once the character jump strength is adjusted but I still want the player to be able to see the other side of the chasm when they are stood at the edge.

4. These platforms are waaay too difficult as the steering while jumping is not sensitive enough for the player to make it up here. They will also be too steep.

5. This needs a lot of looking at and areas of interest need to be established here.

6. There will be a locked door here, forcing the player to take the up-path first. At a point the player will cause something heavy to roll down the hill and crash into the door, opening this area up. I think it’s best to do this with a Kismet sequence, it seems a bit too elaborate doing it with physics.

So that's what I have so far. I will be tweaking this until I am personally happy with it, and then I will let others play it as well to see how they get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment