Thursday, 5 December 2013

UDK platformer starter kit test

Just looking into some technical hurdles. 

I presented these images a couple of weeks ago to give a sort of idea of the look and feel of the project. The tutors wanted to see some sort of technical test in UDK regarding whether sidescrollers are actually doable for me, and I finally had a bit of time to look into it today. 
I compiled a tiny, blocky little scene sort of mimicing the drawings. It's very, very simple but it does the job. 

 Here's the thing in the UDK editor viewport with a white material applied. At this point I had loaded in all the necessary files supplied by UDK. This is a bit of a faff and I don't know if this needs to be done every time I have to work or show the project on a different computer. I imagine that could get annoying.
And this is the thing actually playing. The character can only move left and right. The camera is locked onto the player character and follows it at a set distance, always angled straight at the character. 

There are a lot of problems with this but the main thing is that it proves that this is doable, I suppose. For example, the camera is positioned too close to the character for my purposes.

But it is just a test and it proves what I need to prove.

No comments:

Post a Comment