Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Rooftop project

For the past month I have been working on a practice brief. We were to make a playable 3D rooftop environment implemented in either UDK or CryEngine.

I decided to go for a leisure area planetarium thing. I've taken inspiration from art deco architecture and designs because art deco is a very geometrical style I thought might work well in 3D.



My friend and course mate Ewa suggested I do my textures with watercolours, which I thought was a really cool idea so after doing a couple of tests which turned out well, I went for it. It might not have been the best scene and idea to try it out on, but to me the practice briefs are all about experimenting and figuring out what works and what doesn't in preparation of your final major project. I'm glad I did this because it made me feel confident enough about the technique to think that I might implement this in my FMP as well.


Despite my previous good experiences with CryEngine, I decided to use UDK for this because I wanted to have a base for comparing the two. I like UDK a lot and think it's pretty straightforward to work with, and there's a lot of resources for it on the internet. Unreal even has a kit for developing side scroller games, so I think this project has given me a good foundation for saying that UDK is the right engine for me.

Here's my flytrough:

In the end I faffed about doing artsy fartsy stuff a bit too much and didn't have time to produce assets to properly populate the scene. I regret that, but I am glad I took my time to experiment with something that will come in handy later.

1 comment:

  1. Gleder meg til å følge denne boggen.
    Heia Katarina!! :)
    Mamsn.

    ReplyDelete