Friday, 15 November 2013

Vehicle project

For my vehicle project, I decided to do a car I saw at the London Science Museum when I went there with my brother before uni started. I'm not into vehicle design and wanted to attempt recreating something pre-existing instead of concepting my own thing, leaving me more time for thinking about FMP stuff.


This is the 1950's Rover Gas Turbine 1 that is part of their permanent display. It was a concept car of sorts, so this is the only one in existence. It was the first car to be built with a turbine engine, like a jet plane. It could go pretty fast for its time. As it turned out, this wasn't really a very efficient engine for mass market consumption; it drank 7 gallon of fuel a mile and could get pretty hot. It just wasn't feasible to put an engine like that in such a small machine. 

Mostly I like what it looks like. It's like they tried to build a sleek car but couldn't quite pull it off. 

Here's a progress render of where I'm at. Joe had the idea that I put a wind up key on the car butt and I thought this was excellent, so now I'm rendering this thing into a toy box environment. It is happening.  


Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Rooftop project

For the past month I have been working on a practice brief. We were to make a playable 3D rooftop environment implemented in either UDK or CryEngine.

I decided to go for a leisure area planetarium thing. I've taken inspiration from art deco architecture and designs because art deco is a very geometrical style I thought might work well in 3D.



My friend and course mate Ewa suggested I do my textures with watercolours, which I thought was a really cool idea so after doing a couple of tests which turned out well, I went for it. It might not have been the best scene and idea to try it out on, but to me the practice briefs are all about experimenting and figuring out what works and what doesn't in preparation of your final major project. I'm glad I did this because it made me feel confident enough about the technique to think that I might implement this in my FMP as well.


Despite my previous good experiences with CryEngine, I decided to use UDK for this because I wanted to have a base for comparing the two. I like UDK a lot and think it's pretty straightforward to work with, and there's a lot of resources for it on the internet. Unreal even has a kit for developing side scroller games, so I think this project has given me a good foundation for saying that UDK is the right engine for me.

Here's my flytrough:

In the end I faffed about doing artsy fartsy stuff a bit too much and didn't have time to produce assets to properly populate the scene. I regret that, but I am glad I took my time to experiment with something that will come in handy later.

A small introduction post

Hi, this post marks the first post of my third year blog, I suppose. 

A short introduction; my name is Katarina Aasgaard Stromsvag. I'm from Norway, but moved to England two years ago to attend DMU's BA Game Art Design course, because it is a course with a good reputation and a history of teaching good graduates the right skills for the games industry. I also do a bit of comic art and writing.  

I like all sorts of video games, but am especially interested in the indie- and small developer scene because I think that's just where the coolest stuff comes from.  

This blog will be me posting about my work and thoughts towards my third year final major project and, along the way, my professional practice briefs. 

The brief run-down of my final major project is, at least at the moment, that I will be making a 2.5D sidescrolling game in UDK, drawing inspiration from work by Nordic fairy tale illustrators, such as John Bauer and Theodor Kittelsen. 

John Bauer

John Bauer

Theodor Kittelsen

Theodor Kittelsen

I am very excited about this project and I hope you find it interesting too.